India-China resumes drill:
- India and China will resume the annual joint Army exercise ‘Hand-in-Hand’ in December in China’s Chengdu region.
- The Exercise Planning Conference is scheduled to be held from November 1-3 at Chengdu in China to work out the modalities of the exercise
- The drill was cancelled last year due to tense relations in the aftermath of the Doklam standoff.
- About 175 personnel from each side will take part. The Indian sidewould be represented by troops from the 11 Sikh Light regiment under the Northern Command.
- The scope of the exercise is to understand transnational terrorism and evolve joint drills for the conduct of counter terrorism operations, in addition to Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief operations.
- The exercise will be held in three phases — familiarisation, basic training and the joint exercise.
SC barred states from diversion of CAMPA fund:
- The Supreme Court has barred State governments from diverting money from their Compensatory Afforestation and Management Planning Authority (CAMPA) funds meant for environmental protection, rehabilitation of displaced persons due to issues like depletion of forest, mining, etc.
- The apex court’s order came after realising that the Punjab government took Rs. 1.11 crore from CAMPA funds and to pay its lawyers and other legal expenses.
- National CAMPA Advisory Council. This is part of a major effort by the Supreme Court since 1995 to prevent and monitor environmental degradation.
- The idea of having CAMPA funds and authority was introduced by the apex court.
- The periodic orders of the court in this litigation finally led to the birth of The Compensatory Afforestation Fund Act of 2016.
- The 2016 Act’s objective is promote conservation, protection, improvement and expansion of forest and wildlife resources of the country.
Today’s MAINS reading
Cleanliness and godliness
Labelling, the new illiteracy of our times