India takes lead in delivering equipment to France for ITER research project – 23/10/2018
- India has taken a lead over others nations in delivering equipment to France for the International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor (ITER) research project which is aimed at generating energy through nuclear fusion.
- ITER-India project director Sirish Deshpande said, of the total shipping load delivered so far, almost 40 per cent of load has come from India . India is one of the seven member entities including China, USA, Russia, Japan, South Korea and the European Union for the ITER, which is coming up in southern France.
ITER is a large-scale scientific experiment that aims to demonstrate that it is possible to produce commercial energy from fusion.
India and UAE relationship strengthens – 24/10/2018
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi, Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, discussed yesterday further advancing of the historical and strategic friendship ties between the two counties.
The Emirates News Agency reported last night that the two leaders exchanged insights over an array of international and regional issues, with emphasis on the latest developments in the Middle East region.
India ranked 58th most competitive economy in WEF index – 17/10/2018
- India has been ranked as the 58th most competitive economy on the World Economic Forum’s global competitiveness index for 2018. The WEF said, India’s rank rose by five places from 2017, the largest gain among G20 economies.
- According to the report, the top performers in the “upper and lower middle-income brackets”, India is catching up with or even outperforming the average among high-income economies.
- As per the report, India leads the region in all other areas of competitiveness except for health, education and skills. It further added that India has invested more heavily on transport infrastructure and services. As per the report, India’s greatest competitive advantages include its market size and innovation.
- On the list of 140 economies, the US topped the list followed by Singapore and Germany.Among the BRICS economies, China topped the list at 28th place. India, however, remained the “South Asia’s main driving force”.
- The World Economic Forum’s Global Competitiveness Index 4.0 is a composite indicator that assesses the set of factors that determine an economy’s level of productivity – widely considered as the most important determinant of long-term growth.