AFA DAILY CURRENT AFFAIRS ANALYSIS- 28/01/2019
Pak. arrives in India to visit Chenab basin:
The tour is an obligation imposed on both the countries by the Indus Waters Treaty, 1960
- · A Pakistani delegation arrived in India on Sunday to visit the Chenab river basin in Jammu and Kashmir for inspection, as mandated under the Indus Water Treaty.
- This tour is an obligation imposed on both the countries by the Indus Waters Treaty, 1960. Under the treaty, both the Commissioners are mandated to inspect sites and works on both the sides of the Indus basin in a block of five years.
- Since the signing of the treaty, a total of 118 such tours on both the sides have been undertaken.
- The last tours of the commission in Pakistan and India were held in July 2013 and September 2014, respectively.
- Under the Indus Water Treaty, waters flowing in three Indus tributaries — the Sutlej, the Beas and the Ravi — have been allotted to India, while the Chenab, the Jhelum and the Indus waters have been allotted to Pakistan.
Source: THE HINDU
Will your preparation be effective without Daily Current Affairs and Readings? Subscribe below for AFA UPSC WEB to receive daily updates to mail…